Eve’s Turning

O Moon

O stars

O gods to mine eye

What evil dost hide thy light

Ere day break

Hie thy pace

Lest Sun shall quarrel

And sky shall begin to fight

Hark to my spiel

And mark my words

Thy ears

I pray thee open

clouded_moon_by_purevenomer-d3eabpy

Thy craters

Like eyes

Shine down to mine soul

Golden, as if thee a token

Reveal thy self

Cast upon me

Thy light

Everlasting

To guide mine heart

Through yonder dark

And leave thineĀ evil fasting

The inspiration for this poem was simply from me looking out of my window and seeing that the moon was vacant from the sky; instead, being covered with dark grey clouds. It is something I’m not used to and the fact that it was missing threw me off. For me, the moon has always been something that I marvel at and constantly get awed by. The many states that it comes in, each showing a waxing cycle of life to a waning cycle of death, just as out lives do. Perhaps it is the inner child inside of me, still wanting to be an astronaut so I can land up there, believing that what I was walking in was cheese, and so how tiny our little blue and green marble really is. But that was then, when I had no knowledge of how scary space travel actually is, so I will just leave it to my ignorance.To add on to my inspiration, I had just finished reading a Shakespearean book, and was driven to try and emulate the language that is used in his works. It is definitely something that takes a lot of research, emulation, and practice to figure out how to use properly. The style is something specific to Shakespeare and his works, so it is not something common that comes naturally to authors or poets. How often do you use the words thy, lest, and doth in your everyday talk? Though not easy, it is always fun to just mess around with this style and find what you like or dislike.

PureVENOMER. “clouded moon” Photo. deviantart April 18, 2011. Nov. 5 2015.<http://purevenomer.deviantart.com/art/clouded-moon-205394902>

One thought on “Eve’s Turning”